Friday, January 23, 2009

Whole Wheat Pancakes

Today is Friday and that means the weekend is here. Consequently, I think of pancakes. My mom used to make the most wonderful homemade buttermilk pancakes with homemade maple syrup on Saturday mornings; what a treat! While I won't deny that those are a much greater indulgence than wheat pancakes, I think these are actually pretty good and I can justify making them on a more regular basis since they are a much healthier option. I will save the buttermilk for a really special occasion. I have altered the original form of this recipe in the following ways: I substituted white flour for wheat (and actually used wheat pastry flour to make them lighter) and applesauce in place of the oil. I really enjoy these pancakes and they make a great treat for my baby. I hope you enjoy them as well...here's to the weekend!

Wheat Pancakes

1 Cup Wheat Flour (pastry flour is best)
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp. applesauce

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then combine and cook on your favorite griddle.

If you've never made home made syrup, you really need to try it. The consistency is much thinner than store bought versions but the flavor is SO much better.

Home made Syrup

Boil 1 Cup water then add 2 Cups sugar and 1 tsp maple flavoring. Stir on med-low heat until sugar is dissolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment